My experience at the Oldest Bakery School in the world (National Bakery School, Bsc Hons)



how everyone today's video is gonna be a little bit different I'm gonna be. little bit different I'm gonna be telling you about my experience at the. telling you about my experience at the National bakery school which is the. National bakery school which is the oldest bakery school in the world I've. oldest bakery school in the world I've just completed a BSC bachelor's degree. just completed a BSC bachelor's degree in baking technology management at the. in baking technology management at the national bakery school and I always get. national bakery school and I always get questions about the degree why I chose. questions about the degree why I chose the degree what it's like things like. the degree what it's like things like that so I thought it'd be easier to just. that so I thought it'd be easier to just do a video to answer all of your. do a video to answer all of your questions in one place and it's gonna be. questions in one place and it's gonna be split into two sections so the first one. split into two sections so the first one is kind of the main questions I get. 

is kind of the main questions I get asked and then a second one the second. asked and then a second one the second part is the tour of the National bakery. part is the tour of the National bakery school and main a few of my pals and. school and main a few of my pals and stuff so then one of the questions I get. stuff so then one of the questions I get asked the most is why I chose to do the. asked the most is why I chose to do the baking degree it was on a gap you. baking degree it was on a gap you modeling and I realized how much I hated. modeling and I realized how much I hated modeling and I just wanted to do. modeling and I just wanted to do something that I loved and it was. something that I loved and it was between primary school teaching and. between primary school teaching and baking so it always put off the thought. baking so it always put off the thought baking because I didn't think it was a. baking because I didn't think it was a viable career option. 

viable career option and whereas primary school teaching it's. and whereas primary school teaching it's like a safe job and I had the. like a safe job and I had the realization that you just need to do a. realization that you just need to do a career in something new love because but. career in something new love because but modeling was so on fulfilling to me I. modeling was so on fulfilling to me I want to do something that I absolutely. want to do something that I absolutely loved which was baking butter two. loved which was baking butter two different open days I went to. different open days I went to Westminster Kingsway actually isn't a. Westminster Kingsway actually isn't a degree that was just for like a college. degree that was just for like a college and I absolutely hated it the highly. and I absolutely hated it the highly recommend going to the different. recommend going to the different universities and colleges that you want. universities and colleges that you want to check out because I thought that I. to check out because I thought that I would want to go there the most I had a. would want to go there the most I had a really bad experience with one of the. really bad experience with one of the lectures and the people that were. 

lectures and the people that were touring me I just got really like cold. touring me I just got really like cold vibe from there I just didn't like it. vibe from there I just didn't like it and then I went to the National Bakery. and then I went to the National Bakery school and I fell in love with it I was. school and I fell in love with it I was like this is where I need to be and I. like this is where I need to be and I was battling the idea of it because I. was battling the idea of it because I was like it's a degree in baking like I. was like it's a degree in baking like I have to pay loads of money for it is. have to pay loads of money for it is actually gonna get me somewhere and then. actually gonna get me somewhere and then I was speaking to one of the previous. I was speaking to one of the previous students and they would tell me how the. students and they would tell me how the food industry is always going to be. food industry is always going to be around and there is so many jobs. around and there is so many jobs available like there are so many. available like there are so many different areas that you can go into. different areas that you can go into whether it's like flavor analysts or you. 

whether it's like flavor analysts or you can do technical you can do know product. can do technical you can do know product development you can be a baker in a. development you can be a baker in a bakery you can be a pastry chef in me. bakery you can be a pastry chef in me and chocolates there there are so there. and chocolates there there are so there is so much room for growth and there's. is so much room for growth and there's always you can like hop around the. always you can like hop around the different places to find what you want. different places to find what you want and I was like hang on a second yeah in. and I was like hang on a second yeah in my head there's the stereotypical job. my head there's the stereotypical job path and this is like I think it's kind. path and this is like I think it's kind of drilled into you at school all I was. of drilled into you at school all I was taught at school was teaching doctors. taught at school was teaching doctors you don't know that to an array of jobs. you don't know that to an array of jobs out there so I would really think if. out there so I would really think if there's something that you love and you. there's something that you love and you don't think there's a job in it that. don't think there's a job in it that probably is a job in it so find it. probably is a job in it so find it online and go to do a degree in. online and go to do a degree in something that you love who cares what. something that you love who cares what doesn't pay much do something that you. doesn't pay much do something that you love so I literally got home on that. love so I literally got home on that Saturday from the tour and I applied I. Saturday from the tour and I applied I did my new kiss application straightaway. 

did my new kiss application straightaway and I sent it off because I I know. and I sent it off because I I know that's where I want to go there are two. that's where I want to go there are two places in the UK that offer the baking. places in the UK that offer the baking Technology Management degree and that is. Technology Management degree and that is you see B which is University College of. you see B which is University College of Birmingham and the National bakery. Birmingham and the National bakery school which is partnered with London. school which is partnered with London South Bank University so I had to go. South Bank University so I had to go through London South Bank University and. through London South Bank University and I didn't actually get a chance to look. I didn't actually get a chance to look at UCD so I might have loved it or might. at UCD so I might have loved it or might have hated it but at the time I wasn't. have hated it but at the time I wasn't sure if I was going to continue modeling. sure if I was going to continue modeling or not so I thought best say in London. or not so I thought best say in London in case I do want to continue modeling. in case I do want to continue modeling as that's like easy to get everywhere. as that's like easy to get everywhere applied in the October and in December I. applied in the October and in December I got an offer which said I need to get. got an offer which said I need to get XYZ grades but I'd already gotten those. XYZ grades but I'd already gotten those grades because at a level I did. 

grades because at a level I did sociology media drama and art textiles. sociology media drama and art textiles so I had actually never studied food. so I had actually never studied food before I think you just need to put in. before I think you just need to put in your application how passionate you are. your application how passionate you are like I literally baked every single day. like I literally baked every single day I loved it so much and I still love it. I loved it so much and I still love it so much and it's all I want to do. so much and it's all I want to do literally I just love to bake bake bake. literally I just love to bake bake bake in December I got an offer now I think. in December I got an offer now I think now they've started to do interviews but. now they've started to do interviews but I didn't actually have an interview I. I didn't actually have an interview I just got the offer then I knew I was. just got the offer then I knew I was going to the National Bakery school so I. going to the National Bakery school so I started the next September I'm trying to. started the next September I'm trying to think of those other questions I need to. think of those other questions I need to answer all like ones I've always been. answer all like ones I've always been asked oh that was one took on so I had. asked oh that was one took on so I had never studied food before and my food my. 

never studied food before and my food my my school didn't actually even offer. my school didn't actually even offer food which annoys me so much because I. food which annoys me so much because I think people really look down upon the. think people really look down upon the creative subjects and it's one of my. creative subjects and it's one of my biggest bugbears don't get me started on. biggest bugbears don't get me started on it because creative industries are I'm. it because creative industries are I'm not even gonna go into it but people who. not even gonna go into it but people who look down doing creative things that the. look down doing creative things that the arts drama music food like there's such. arts drama music food like there's such big industries and think about it if. big industries and think about it if there was no one that did textiles you. there was no one that did textiles you wouldn't be wearing the clothes you're. wouldn't be wearing the clothes you're wearing right now if there was no that. wearing right now if there was no that studied drama you won't be able to watch. studied drama you won't be able to watch anything on TV you won't be able to go. anything on TV you won't be able to go to the theatre and watch incredible. to the theatre and watch incredible shows. shows it just really wanted me up that it's. it just really wanted me up that it's like poo-pooed and people think the. like poo-pooed and people think the amount of comments I've had from people. amount of comments I've had from people being a are you doing a degree in baking. 

being a are you doing a degree in baking that I must be easy to little is the. that I must be easy to little is the exact same as a normal degree so you. exact same as a normal degree so you have to do a dissertation you have. have to do a dissertation you have written exams you have theory you have. written exams you have theory you have coursework you have practical exams. coursework you have practical exams there are many different things within. there are many different things within the course now the course has changed a. the course now the course has changed a little bit so the advice I'm given. little bit so the advice I'm given probably might not 100% be appliable. probably might not 100% be appliable to anyone that wants to go now because. to anyone that wants to go now because they've broken the course downs have. they've broken the course downs have like a nutritional side product. like a nutritional side product development like specific the main bulk. development like specific the main bulk of the course is still the same so it's. of the course is still the same so it's broken down into the three years you can. broken down into the three years you can do two years and get a foundation degree. do two years and get a foundation degree or you can carry on for the third row. or you can carry on for the third row and get the BSC and Bachelor of Science. 

and get the BSC and Bachelor of Science degree which is what I did. degree which is what I did so explain a little bit more about the. so explain a little bit more about the course in the tour so I will not cover. course in the tour so I will not cover that bit right now but I'll leave that. that bit right now but I'll leave that to the tour bit so one big thing about. to the tour bit so one big thing about the course is that there are actually. the course is that there are actually many different ages that do it it's not. many different ages that do it it's not just people who are fresh out of school. just people who are fresh out of school so if you are like 40 and you want a. so if you are like 40 and you want a career change. career change I'd say feel free to come along because. I'd say feel free to come along because I know that there were many different. I know that there were many different ages and ages just a number like if you. ages and ages just a number like if you want to start a career when you're 60. want to start a career when you're 60 you go for it who is stopping you no one. you go for it who is stopping you no one absolutely loved the course because it. absolutely loved the course because it was something that I obviously love and. was something that I obviously love and I'm interested in but there were aspects. I'm interested in but there were aspects I absolutely hated for example research. I absolutely hated for example research methodology which wasn't really very. methodology which wasn't really very stimulating for me but you have to do it. 

stimulating for me but you have to do it business management oh I did not like. business management oh I did not like business management that again so we had. business management that again so we had to do like a business plan and. to do like a business plan and everything like that and get financial. everything like that and get financial statement and I was just not my brain. statement and I was just not my brain and I definitely think it was good to. and I definitely think it was good to like so you can appreciate the full flow. like so you can appreciate the full flow of a business if you're considering. of a business if you're considering going into career and baking I would say. going into career and baking I would say go for it there are so many jobs people. go for it there are so many jobs people are always wanting bakers there is. are always wanting bakers there is barely anyone that is actually trained. barely anyone that is actually trained in bakery anymore so it means the chance. in bakery anymore so it means the chance of a job is much more likely I really. of a job is much more likely I really want to say if there is a career that. want to say if there is a career that you're like holding back from because. you're like holding back from because you'll maybe your parents don't want you. you'll maybe your parents don't want you to do it or maybe you think that it's. 

to do it or maybe you think that it's not a viable career option or things. not a viable career option or things like that as long as you love it and. like that as long as you love it and you're passionate about it don't worry. you're passionate about it don't worry what anyone else thinks I know so many. what anyone else thinks I know so many people judge me for going into career. people judge me for going into career and baking especially because I was. and baking especially because I was quitting modeling and leaving modeling. quitting modeling and leaving modeling behind they're like you learn from. behind they're like you learn from modeling to baking I was like yes yes I. modeling to baking I was like yes yes I am I know I can say the same for. am I know I can say the same for everything. everything one of my friends everyone always be. one of my friends everyone always be like you're doing a degree in baking. like you're doing a degree in baking like what even what you're going to do. like what even what you're going to do with that the one big bro of the. with that the one big bro of the national bakery school and the. national bakery school and the opportunities they have so many things. opportunities they have so many things going on as so many good links to the. going on as so many good links to the baking industry and they have so many. baking industry and they have so many good links to people in the baking. good links to people in the baking industry there are so many things for. industry there are so many things for you to do like different shows to help. you to do like different shows to help out who so many trips I've been on that. out who so many trips I've been on that were just incredible and like different. were just incredible and like different bakery work experience placements they. bakery work experience placements they have so many things for you and I highly. have so many things for you and I highly recommend to take those it was a bit. recommend to take those it was a bit tricky for me because I commuted from. 

tricky for me because I commuted from home so I live an hour and a half way so. home so I live an hour and a half way so I commuted in and commuted out which. I commuted in and commuted out which meant I couldn't do everything because. meant I couldn't do everything because it was a bit tricky if it was like just. it was a bit tricky if it was like just two hours or something I would say that. two hours or something I would say that if you are considering living at home. if you are considering living at home you do still make friends because it's a. you do still make friends because it's a practical course one of my biggest. practical course one of my biggest concerns was that I was gonna miss out. concerns was that I was gonna miss out on loads of things but that is not the. on loads of things but that is not the case because it is a practical caution. case because it is a practical caution with people like 24/7 so you really get. with people like 24/7 so you really get to know them if anything and maybe it's. to know them if anything and maybe it's a con there's a bit of sometimes there's. a con there's a bit of sometimes there's a bit of tension you're with them every. a bit of tension you're with them every day let's call it as a functional family. day let's call it as a functional family because there are a lot of personalities. because there are a lot of personalities a lot of strong personalities so. a lot of strong personalities so sometimes they clash and when you're. 

sometimes they clash and when you're like with each other from 10:00 till. like with each other from 10:00 till 5:00 in the afternoon you're like oh my. 5:00 in the afternoon you're like oh my gosh I can't do this anymore and cuz. gosh I can't do this anymore and cuz it's like your go-go-go sometimes you. it's like your go-go-go sometimes you only have 10 minutes for a lunch break. only have 10 minutes for a lunch break you're like exhausted and you just don't. you're like exhausted and you just don't really want to talk to anyone then you. really want to talk to anyone then you have to go home and do work so I guess. have to go home and do work so I guess people can get a little cranky but other. people can get a little cranky but other than that it I would say you're. than that it I would say you're absolutely fine for making friends and. absolutely fine for making friends and this is the change rooms. anyone if you're covering spinach the bakery school right hand get this this. bakery school right hand get this this guy and you can have my legacy. but ahold of your first time so first year although the course how to change. year although the course how to change since we started but for art in the. since we started but for art in the first term it's just. first term it's just verax who do who do science we did. verax who do who do science we did health and safety and we did research. 

health and safety and we did research methodology so you don't actually do any. methodology so you don't actually do any practical first then it basically. practical first then it basically thoughts the wimps out from the people. thoughts the wimps out from the people who can carry on the course if you can't. who can carry on the course if you can't do the theory you probably I'm gonna. do the theory you probably I'm gonna make it to you the course because it. make it to you the course because it isn't just banking and I think sixty. isn't just banking and I think sixty people applied yeah old people yeah. [Music] and if you get innovative school you. and if you get innovative school you come down and everything about graphing. come down and everything about graphing more covers so here is like the little. more covers so here is like the little haven this is my favorite hot water tap. haven this is my favorite hot water tap your hot water and cold water. your hot water and cold water it's beautiful stunning really high and. it's beautiful stunning really high and you do chocolate throughout the course. you do chocolate throughout the course should you chocolate confectionary bread. should you chocolate confectionary bread business or your dissertation and like. business or your dissertation and like research methodology science science of. research methodology science science of fermentation there's a lot of things so. fermentation there's a lot of things so it's not just baking and it is very. it's not just baking and it is very there is a lot more to it than you think. 

there is a lot more to it than you think which I'll explain a little bit later on. the giant bird that is great food so we've got the doors open our because. we've got the doors open our because obviously this the lecturers have to. obviously this the lecturers have to open it so come along and the Casa is. open it so come along and the Casa is not my crib I wish it was something like. not my crib I wish it was something like that was this this is a lot of to DP. that was this this is a lot of to DP oxen don't actually look that is all. oxen don't actually look that is all about that base in society conferences. about that base in society conferences that we've had so many competitions at. that we've had so many competitions at the bakery school there's always. the bakery school there's always something to do doesn't they are very. something to do doesn't they are very good extracurricular opportunities I. good extracurricular opportunities I have work to show that Mandy oh yeah the. have work to show that Mandy oh yeah the break room this is where we have our. break room this is where we have our lunches and obviously because you can't. lunches and obviously because you can't go outside in your wife so if you nasty. go outside in your wife so if you nasty outside which by the way if you want to. outside which by the way if you want to know what we have to wear we do to get. know what we have to wear we do to get house was free otherwise smoke isn't it. house was free otherwise smoke isn't it yeah I'm pretty sure they still are most. yeah I'm pretty sure they still are most of the time they're free if they don't. of the time they're free if they don't get sponsored an event offering our wife. get sponsored an event offering our wife okay and their shoes which she got a. 

okay and their shoes which she got a really dirty down different one. really dirty down different one a few three books when we joined which. a few three books when we joined which were hardly don't throw away so come on. were hardly don't throw away so come on we have a lot of like to the whole stars. we have a lot of like to the whole stars parotid we have some guests to ask us. parotid we have some guests to ask us for the lights on. for the lights on oh the other so this is this is where. oh the other so this is this is where the lecture would lecture work boots and. the lecture would lecture work boots and we have the screen that comes out also. we have the screen that comes out also also got screens that can get into the. also got screens that can get into the bakery which I'll show you in a minute. bakery which I'll show you in a minute and then you find it this was my seat. and then you find it this was my seat all the time I was here I always thought. all the time I was here I always thought here but then these guys you start you. here but then these guys you start you can toss it around this is a me so you. can toss it around this is a me so you mean under the scooch in. mean under the scooch in so tell me if I can make this building. 

so tell me if I can make this building tell me you're like wow and Evi like was. tell me you're like wow and Evi like was something that you really enjoy about. something that you really enjoy about making sort and something that you think. making sort and something that you think is what I want to do what have balanced. is what I want to do what have balanced argument something you think could be. argument something you think could be better I think that could be better are. better I think that could be better are we doing more cake decoration things. we doing more cake decoration things uh-huh cuz we don't do that here so like. uh-huh cuz we don't do that here so like the flowers yeah especially when we've. the flowers yeah especially when we've got Jane yeah change you have your. got Jane yeah change you have your skills Jamie's like to the bower quick. skills Jamie's like to the bower quick yeah and but there are loads of. yeah and but there are loads of competitions which is funny because we. competitions which is funny because we don't do that much for to the facets. don't do that much for to the facets with the air so many competitions for it. with the air so many competitions for it and it's where that everybody wants to. and it's where that everybody wants to do those conversations when we don't. do those conversations when we don't know we don't do those and what was your. know we don't do those and what was your favorite part cause and making lots of. favorite part cause and making lots of new friends from different parts of the. new friends from different parts of the country the biggest thing that you take. country the biggest thing that you take away is there like something like wow I. away is there like something like wow I would have never guessed that I would. 

would have never guessed that I would have never known that an icon there and. have never known that an icon there and I would have never known how to pull. I would have never known how to pull sugar be able to do portrait but that. sugar be able to do portrait but that was literally in the last week we only. was literally in the last week we only did one week on that over here doing. did one week on that over here doing little flash of there she's currently. little flash of there she's currently who's currently going from the gene and. who's currently going from the gene and chocolate marks but she's going to be a. chocolate marks but she's going to be a junior chocolate master we do have a. junior chocolate master we do have a really good chocolate brown which I can. really good chocolate brown which I can put you in see now I'm going thanks guys. put you in see now I'm going thanks guys this really big important thing my name. this really big important thing my name check in when I talk about now and this. check in when I talk about now and this is where perspective. 

written exam and everything written exams like ten Marines because we're top. exams like ten Marines because we're top comes from this you learn about how. comes from this you learn about how tough it's made it's better to be fair I. tough it's made it's better to be fair I dunno anything. [Music] and so should you. and so should you yes you'll be fine they could get back. yes you'll be fine they could get back in the locker room. our lecture is very Johnson well the UK tripper monster I think. well the UK tripper monster I think seven. but he's so knowledgeable so we get pulled out our knives and stuff will. pulled out our knives and stuff will they yeah I don't think there's anything. they yeah I don't think there's anything that actually show and this is like the. that actually show and this is like the Lille room when we do our chocolate. Lille room when we do our chocolate theory because they're like we have to. theory because they're like we have to label and that's another thing in the. label and that's another thing in the portfolio so you have portfolios for. portfolio so you have portfolios for bread confectionery chocolate and in the. bread confectionery chocolate and in the portfolio you have to have a label of. portfolio you have to have a label of each product that you've made so like. each product that you've made so like including allergies wedding the best. including allergies wedding the best before is you have to cost it and you. before is you have to cost it and you have to basically like write up how you. have to basically like write up how you made it do like a recipe spec then and. made it do like a recipe spec then and they also have to do research each week. they also have to do research each week on a different thing for example say. on a different thing for example say you're doing show pieces you have to. 

you're doing show pieces you have to like find some show pieces find out how. like find some show pieces find out how they did different techniques that sort. they did different techniques that sort of thing so these are some things that. of thing so these are some things that that was best the one who's the junior. that was best the one who's the junior of the master that was best from Hotel. of the master that was best from Hotel limpiar oh my gosh should spring aside. limpiar oh my gosh should spring aside to make me feel quite emotional let's go. to make me feel quite emotional let's go to the development one which is only. to the development one which is only second year that we move there but let's. second year that we move there but let's go know about school the kitchens here. go know about school the kitchens here bakeries yep. bakeries yep stop and rest room kitchen so this is. stop and rest room kitchen so this is second year second semester we have a. second year second semester we have a whole crew development thing and each. whole crew development thing and each person gets a different product and we. person gets a different product and we made an award-winning cereal bar and an. made an award-winning cereal bar and an understanding sir above I'm a little. understanding sir above I'm a little disappointed that information placed top. disappointed that information placed top secret and thank you though it's in a. secret and thank you though it's in a magazine that everybody is won prizes. magazine that everybody is won prizes are Sarah yeah so you have to do it. are Sarah yeah so you have to do it again. again portfolio but the portfolio is more. portfolio but the portfolio is more and like we created you have to like. 

and like we created you have to like truck what you do each week at the label. truck what you do each week at the label it cost it do a business plan for it you. it cost it do a business plan for it you have to make the product and this is the. have to make the product and this is the room that we do it in prove up other and. room that we do it in prove up other and pastry way for people to use the brand. pastry way for people to use the brand we love and have your tables. we love and have your tables [Music]. I pitch the ring the Red Room now and this is where in first year you do. this is where in first year you do second semester in bread and again. second semester in bread and again portfolio for any no really written. portfolio for any no really written examination payment and second year. examination payment and second year first semester third year first semester. first semester third year first semester so this is you can pan out with Pamela. so this is you can pan out with Pamela the legend this is Hammond ah and we've. 

the legend this is Hammond ah and we've got Jerry Porter alleged they're. got Jerry Porter alleged they're preparing for competition as I said Oh a. preparing for competition as I said Oh a competition I also really like red red. competition I also really like red red it's quite fascinating right and there. it's quite fascinating right and there is so much to learn but I breath there's. is so much to learn but I breath there's you're constantly learning because it's. you're constantly learning because it's always something and there's something. always something and there's something new like you know that sounds impatient. that's good [Music]. [Music] thank you very much for watching I hope. thank you very much for watching I hope this is enlightened you inspired you to. this is enlightened you inspired you to go and do something you love I. go and do something you love I absolutely love baking and I would tell. absolutely love baking and I would tell anyone to get into the industry because. anyone to get into the industry because there is so much scope for you like. there is so much scope for you like there is so much for you to do and so. there is so much for you to do and so many opportunities say the baking. many opportunities say the baking industry is predominantly the older. industry is predominantly the older generation and we need some new bees we. generation and we need some new bees we need some new bees in the baking. need some new bees in the baking industry so now out there and smash it. industry so now out there and smash it maybe find an apprenticeship made me do. maybe find an apprenticeship made me do some work experience please come join us. some work experience please come join us in the baking industry thanks very much. in the baking industry thanks very much for watching bye.
Tag : Experience
0 Komentar untuk "My experience at the Oldest Bakery School in the world (National Bakery School, Bsc Hons)"

Back To Top